Monday, September 15, 2014

Adventuring in Cáceres!

IM SO SORRY I HAVENT POSTED IN FOREVER! ( I have school) 

So first of all, I'm slightly pissed off because I already wrote this and then Blogger deleted it. (Thanks for nothing)
And as you all well know, that means I need to re-type it and I don't really remember what I said. (But believe me it was good.) I'll try and make it as similar as possible so here it goes...Take #2

Today started off as a regular day for the whole family. I got up, had breakfast, hygiened it up, (I know it's not a word) got dressed blah blah blah. 

Later on after lunch (3:00pm) my host mother and father told Marina and I that we were going to visit the one and only Cáceres.

On our way, we needed to stop for food. So we decided on this restaurant that served traditional Spanish food. Being an American and all, I had no idea what the menu said. My host mother was a doll and told me she ordered fish, and I love fish. 

I was happy to have something that I would like. But once the fish arrived, I was baffled as to what type of fish it was. So, I asked my host mother and she replied...'The baby of whales'. And so I let that sink in. IM CONSUMING BABY WHALE?! Then I looked at my host father  completely confused and he replied to my reaction with...'No. No whale. Shark. Baby shark.' 


Although this made me feel a bit better about it, this was still my first time consuming shark. I didn't want to like it, but man it was delicious. And when I say delicious, I mean it doesn't even do it justice. It was amazing, so I'm sorry (but I'm really not) sharky, I had to eat you. You were just too dang good to not eat. Thanks for the meal.

After we finished up our food, we needed to by a Spanish SIM card for my iPhone. Convienently, there was a mall only a few minutes outside of Cáceres. We all walked inside from the parking garage and I about had a conniption. In our malls, we have escalators that you stand on and it turns into stairs. Well, just imagine a 'people mover' in an airport, but on an incline. That's what we had to balance on to get from floor to floor. And it was really really really hard. Eventually, we bought a SIM card and everything was fine and dandy. 



 Finally, we arrived in Cáceres, Spain. Cáceres has some of the oldest ruins and roads in all of Spain. We visited so many cool places in the city. It doesn't seem that big from the outside, but it is huuuuuuge. We walked around and even got to go into a museum. (You don't even have to pay for it here!) The things they had recovered from Spain long long ago were amazing. What was really extraordinary to me though, was that they had this room underneath the museum ruins that held 1-2ft of water. That water was historical water because it was found like that. That water is thousands of years old. It was a really cool thing to see, because never have I ever experienced that in the US. When you spend time in Cáceres, you don't just explore the ancient things, you feel them. What I mean by feel, is that you get the vibe of how old the city actually is. It's a unique feeling that I myself cannot describe. All in all, if you are ever over in Europe (preferably Spain), take some time out and pay a visit, I know you won't regret one minute. 


That glass star up there, when the sun is at the right angle, makes a beautiful shadow! 

Free museum! 

The ancient Spanish water 

This one is for my mom. Because she loves red doors and vines. 


Pictures of Marina (host sister), Emi (host mom) and I


You touch the holy feet of the saint. That's why it is gold!


Lastly we finished off with a chocolate croissant!




No comments:

Post a Comment